terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012

First damascus knife

These are some photos of my very first attempt to produce damascus steel blades. In fact, I´ve tryed it before but this is the first finished knife. It was began with 14 layers, 7 of 15N20 (rich nickel steel) and old files (1095, I gess). 15N20 produces the light stripes while the 1095 becomes dark after eaching. The billet was streched and folded 3 times (that was all my arms could handle) resulting in aproximatly 105 layer. After that I forged a full tang Integral knife and made some slots all over the blade area using a grinding disc to "enrich" the damascus pattern. By the end, I still got some delamination. They revealed during the forging process.

This is the original billet.


During the folding process, the photos were taken by a cel phone.


The result.



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário